Police arrest Franklin man after armed standoff

Suspect tosses handgun after mace deployed

NEW ULM — New Ulm Police arrested a 44-year-old Franklin man early Thursday morning after an armed standoff on Nicollet CR 37 (20th South St.).

Shane Lawrence Santoro of rural Franklin was charged with two counts of felony firearm possession by a person convicted of a crime of violence and felony receiving stolen property in Brown County District Court Friday. Bail was set at $100,000. Court was set for 8:30 a.m. May 28.

According to court documents, New Ulm Police Officer Andrew Kuester was driving westbound on Nicollet CR 37 westbound into New Ulm from Highway 14 at 11:45 p.m. May 15 when he noticed a dark colored truck parked on the right side of the road, idling.

Kuester met the truck, a black 2008 Ford Ranger, again traveling south on Highway 15 near Bridge Street with a brake light that was not on. Kuester stopped the vehicle near the Skyview Lane mobile trailer park.

Recognizing the driver as Santoro, who has an active arrest warrant, Kuester directed him to step out of the vehicle twice, the driver did not comply, and Kuester pointed mace (pepper spray) at him, according to the police records.

Kuester saw Santoro reach his left hand into his hoodie pocket and hold it there. Kuester sprayed Santoro in the face briefly.

Santoro kept his left hand in his pocket, ignoring commands to remove his hand from his pocket. Santoro was maced again briefly.

Kuester retreated to a cover position with his duty weapon drawn and told Santoro he was under arrest and to show his hand. Kuester saw a small silver handgun in Santoro’s left hand, pointed at his own head, according to the records.

Santoro was told to drop the handgun many times, he did not comply and was yelling and swearing.

Kuester retrieved his duty rifle from his squad vehicle and told Santoro to drop the gun and that he was under arrest. Santoro did not comply and was talking on a phone with a gun pointed at his head for some time, according to records.

Later, Kuester saw Santoro unload the magazine from the handgun, throw it to his left side and rack the slide to release a round in the chamber. Santoro was handcuffed without incident, searched and placed in the squad car back seat.

Santoro was transported to the hospital to get medically cleared because he admitted to taking drugs, profusely sweating, being pepper sprayed and had suicidal ideations. He was medically cleared at the hospital, according to records.

The handgun Santoro had was entered as stolen in Nicollet County. He was convicted of felony second-degree drug sales 10 grams or more March 22, 2021, felony third-degree possession of a controlled substance Dec. 10, 2018 and felony fifth-degree controlled substance possession Nov. 9, 2015, all in Blue Earth County Court.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper?

Starting at $4.38/week.

Subscribe Today