Krenz says he’s happy to be alive

Photo submitted by Kjersti Bastian, Fairfax Fire-Rescue-Ambulance Josh Krenz of Fairfax, left, smiles as he arrives home in Fairfax Thursday, driven home by his brother Dan of Redwood Falls. Josh Krenz spent 10 days in Hennepin County Medical Center after being electrocuted April 5. Krenz said doctors told him his fast recovery was a miracle.

FAIRFAX — Josh Krenz had a big smile on his face as he rode into Fairfax late Thursday afternoon with a line of fire trucks, ambulances and personal vehicles.

With good reason. On Tuesday, Krenz, 36, said he could only walk with a walker. He said he worked hard with Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) physical therapists to regain his strength to be able to walk on his own Wednesday.

“I’m home. I did everything they wanted me to do Thursday, so they let me go home,” Krenz said. “Doctors told me it was a miracle. I remember everything before it (his electrocution) happened. That’s a plus. I don’t remember when it happened. I’m just happy to be alive. That’s for sure. I’m expected to make a full recovery.”

A first captain on the Fairfax Fire-Rescue-Ambulance squad himself, Krenz was outside his body shop April 5 when he was electrocuted while pressure washing his vehicle.

Thankfully, his parents had just arrived and witnessed the accident. They quickly called 911 and started CPR.

Fairfax Fire-Rescue-Ambulance quickly responded and resuscitated Krenz with a LUCAS (mechanical chest compression device) before he was airlifted to HCMC in Minneapolis. He was initially sedated and put on a ventilator.

Krenz was an intensive care unit (ICU) for eight days but began making more movements as time passed.

Last Sunday, he sat on the edge of his bed and responded to all commands by shaking his head.

On Monday, Krenz’ breathing tube was removed and he began talking a lot.

Josh’s heart was pumping at full capacity Wednesday.

Krenz’ brother Dan of Redwood Falls was visiting him Thursday when doctors told him he could go home. Dan Krenz drove Josh home in his pickup.

“I didn’t realize I was coming home at first Thursday,” Krenz said. “I worked hard in physical therapy, learning how to walk again. It was like a parade with a line of fire trucks, ambulances and personal vehicles (on State Highway 19) when we got back to Fairfax.”

Krenz said he was told to take a week off work before going for a thorough checkup next week at Sleepy Eye Medical Center.

“Then I can go back to work. That’s the plan,” said Josh.

“My ribs are sore from the chest compressions, but I sure appreciate all the prayers and support from all the people online and on CaringBridge,”

Krenz said. “A good streak would be nice this weekend.”

Donations to help the Krenzes pay for medical costs are being accepted at First National Bank of Fairfax, c/o Krenz Strong, P.O. Box 200, Fairfax, MN 55332.

Fairfax Fire-Rescue-Ambulance squad members are selling t-shirts with the words “KRENZ strong” on the front and back to benefit the Krenz family.

For more information, visit https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/joshkrenz/journal

(Fritz Busch can be emailed at fbusch@nu



Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.38/week.

Subscribe Today