Dist. 84 board approves superintendent contract
Discusses fall start options
SLEEPY EYE — The District 84 Board of Education unanimously approved a three-year contract for superintendent John Cselovszki Wednesday.
Under the agreement approved on a motion by Joleen Dittbenner, seconded by Brian Nelson, Cselovszki will receive two percent pay raises for the 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2222-23 school years. He will receive $126,128 next school year, and $128,020 and $129,940 the following two years.
“Thank you. I appreciate the opportunity to do my job here,” Cselovszki said.
Cselovszki and high school principal Shane Laffen said three school operational options are being considered by state officials.
“It’s a fluid situation really. We could be doing all three plans (distance learning, a hybrid model and in-class instruction). We could look at all three scenarios,” Laffen said.
“We’ll continue to work on all three plans,” Cselovszki said.
Toward that end, the board approved student handbook changes including 2020-2021 COVID-19 procedures impacting the school year start:
* Placing desks no less than six feet apart.
* Student/teacher ratios of no more than 9:1.
* Staggered dismissal times to reduce face to face interaction.
* Arrows marking traffic flow to increase personal space.
* Regular sanitation of classrooms and common areas.
* Limited use of shared materials.
* Lunches delivered to classrooms.
* Temperatures taken upon school arrival.
* Teachers wearing masks. Students will be encouraged to wear them as per parental discretion. Masks will be provided upon request.
* More guidelines and procedures to follow if necessary this fall.
High school student handbook changes included prohibiting the display of political posters in school and at all activities and adding College Pre-Calculus as a blended learning option.
The board also approved:
* New fees including a .10 cost hike for lunch. Breakfast and milk breaks will continue to be free.
* Athletic admission will continue to be free for local fans over age 60.
* The dissolution of the Sleepy Eye and Springfield High School dance cooperative and formation of the Sleepy Eye, St. Mary’s and Springfield dance cooperative.
* Fiscal year 2020 auding with Eide Bailly for $18,000.
* Unanimously disapproving of a MSEA grievance, following committee recommendation.
Fritz Busch can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org.