Commissioners to consider Hazard Mitigation application

To meet in LEC training room on Tuesday

NEW ULM – Brown County commissioners will consider authorizing a Hazard Mitigation Funds application and a resolution to acquire a home along the Minnesota River floodplain using the funds on Tuesday, March 24.

Commissioners will meet at 9 a.m. in the Training Room in the basement of the Brown County Law Enforcement Center (LEC) and continue to meet there until further notice. An elevator can be used to enter the training room from the LEC doors.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) grants are used to lessen the risk of death and damage to property from a multitude of hazards. Home acquisition and demolition is usually a less expensive option than mitigation projects to fix the problem by other means, according to the board request.

The residence is located in the Minnesota River 100-year flood elevation, which has increased over the years due to increased precipitation, imperious surfaces, drainage and improved flood modeling.

The cost to purchase the home is $245,000 plus preliminary work, inspections, demolition, and site restoration estimated at $32,225 for a total cost of $277,225. The grant would pay for 75% of the project, $207,000. The homeowner would be responsible for the remaining 25% and any overage over the $276,000 limit.

The Brown County Assessor valued the property at $210,048 adjusted for a site not on the floodplain and for upgrades the owner made since purchasing it.

If approved, quotes for demolition, well/septic abandonment and other project costs will be sought.

Commissioners will also:

* Receive the 2019 Human Services Collections and Fraud Report.

* Receive human services consent agenda. In March and April, financial assistance workers will not go to Sleepy and Springfield satellite offices. Phone interviews will be used and people are encouraged to use the Human Services parking lot drop box to provide forms and verification to human services.

* Set a letting date for the Springfield Central Street grading and surfacing project. The City will receive $750,000 in Local Road Improvement Funds and $165,430 in Municipal State Aid funds. The recommended letting date is 2 p.m., April 28 at the courthouse. Project completion date is July 29, 2022.

* Consider authorizing the use of SCORE funds for voluntary unwanted or unusable ammunition collection by the sheriff’s office in New Ulm, Sleepy Eye, Springfield, Hanska and Comfrey. Unusable ammunition would be transported to a hazardous waste location in Mankato by Veolia for $9.98 per pound.

(Fritz Busch can be emailed at fbusch@nujournal.com).


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today