×

Commissioners to consider grant to buy home along river

Homeowner would pay part of cost

NEW ULM — Brown County Commissioners will consider authorizing the application for Hazard Mitigation Funds and a resolution to acquire a home along the Minnesota River on Tuesday, Feb. 25.

Federal Emergency Management (FEMA) grants are used to lessen the risk of death to people and/or damage to property from a multitude of hazards. The Brown County Hazard Mitigation Plan lists the acquisition of homes located in the floodplain as a usually less expensive option than mitigation projects that fix the problem by other means.

The residence located at 10914 Shag Road is located within the 100-year Flood Elevation of the Minnesota River. The flood elevation has increased over the years due to a number of things including increased precipitation, impervious surfaces, drainage and improved flood modeling.

The cost to purchase the home is $245,000 plus preliminary work, inspections, demolition, site restoration estimated at $32,225 for a total of $277,225.

The Hazard Mitigation Grant will pay 75% of the $276,000 project limit or about $207,000. The homeowner will be responsible for the remaining 25% and any overage from the $276,000 limit. Their portion would be based on the appraisal, closing, etc. not covered by the grant.

If approved, Brown County Emergency Management will seek quotes on home demolition, well/septic abandonment and associated costs.

Commissioners will also consider:

• A $31,250 low quote from Zinniel Electric Co., Sleepy Eye for labor and materials to complete the Brown County Jail Camera Conduit installation. There were 49 cameras installed in the jail that require conduit.

Additional quotes were received from Full Service Electric Inc., New Ulm, $47,620; and Paul’s Electric Inc., New Ulm, $72,293.

• The board meeting begins at 9 a.m., Tuesday, Feb. 25 in the courthouse second-floor commissioner’s room.

Fritz Busch can be emailed at fbusch@nujournal.com

COMMENTS