Filings open for SWCD supervisor on May 17

Individuals concerned about water quality and soil erosion in Brown County should consider filing by May 31 to run for supervisor of the Brown Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD).

Supervisors play an important role in how the community deals with a wide variety of natural resource management issues, including wetlands, water quality, and soil erosion. Serving as a supervisor is an opportunity for people who want a voice in how soil and water resources are managed.

SWCDs are special purpose units of government that manage and direct conservation programs, such as the state Cost-Share Program and the Reinvest In Minnesota (RIM) state easement program, which also includes CREP easements. An elected board of supervisors governs each of Minnesota’s 90 SWCDs.

The SWCD has three supervisor positions up for election. Candidates appear on the ballot for the general election on Nov. 8. Candidates are elected county wide, but must reside in one of the nomination districts up for election.

These include District 1 (townships of Albin, Lake Hanska, and Linden as well as the incorporated area of Hanska), District 2 (townships of Bashaw, Leavenworth, and Mulligan as well as the incorporated area of Comfrey in Brown County), and District 4 (townships of Burnstown, North Star, and Stately as well as the incorporated area of Springfield).

SWCD Supervisors serve four-year terms.

Supervisors meet monthly to discuss the business of the SWCD, including state grant allocations to landowners, district conservation priorities, coordination with other local units of government and state agencies, and legislative priorities.

Supervisors do not receive a salary, although they do receive compensation for attending meetings and are reimbursed for expenses.

Those interested in running for SWCD Supervisor should file an affidavit of candidacy at the County Auditor’s office from May 17 through 31.

Additional information about Brown SWCD can be found online at or by calling the office at 507-794-2553.