×

Minnesota man faces 1st charges in series of sexual assaults

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Prosecutors have filed the first charges against a Ham Lake man suspected in a series of sexual assaults that occurred from 2013 until just last month.
Thirty-four-year-old Jory Wiebrand was charged Monday in Hennepin County in two home invasions in Minneapolis in which women were assaulted last June and August.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman says additional charges are expected, perhaps late this week.
Freeman says the charges are the result of “excellent police work by a number of agencies.” He says until last week, Wiebrand’s DNA was not on file with any police agency. Freeman says developing a fingerprint and getting a match from an earlier, unrelated arrest allowed police to identify Wiebrand as a suspect and seek a search warrant to obtain his DNA.
According to the complaint, Wiebrand is suspected in 10 cases between 2013 and 2020 in the same Minneapolis neighborhoods and in Anoka County.
Police spokesman John Elder said Monday the Minneapolis attacks date back to 2015, with additional assaults in other jurisdictions since 2013.
Brooke Morath tells the Star Tribune police called her to let her know the man they believe was responsible for assaulting her had been arrested.
Morath has previously spoken publicly about the 2015 attack.
“Part of me still is in disbelief even though they’re telling me it’s the guy,” she said. “It’s surreal.”
Wiebrand was arrested at an Anoka County home on Friday. Court records do not list a defense attorney who could speak for him.