Toros take down Steel

Staff photo by Travis Rosenau New Ulm Steel defenseman Josh Gulden (77) battles Mason City Toros’ David Loarh (24) for the puck during an NA3HL game at the New Ulm Civic Center on Saturday night.

NEW ULM — Friday night, the New Ulm Steel spotted Mason City an early 2-0 lead before scoring five straight goals for a 5-2 comeback win.

Saturday night, there was no comeback.

Mason City jumped out to a 2-0 lead after one period and increased that margin to 4-0 late in the second period on the way to a 5-2 win over the Steel in an NA3HL game at the New Ulm Civic Center.

Zach Maret and Charlie Kielty scored goals for the Steel, with Landen Schwantes, Kielty and Nick O’Brien adding assists as New Ulm fell to 2-3 on the season.

Nolan Lacosse, who stopped 56 of 58 shots Friday night in the win, allowed four goals before being replaced by Dixon Ehlers in the second period.

Steel coach Alex North said that his team came out and played really good in the first 10 minutes of the game.

“We were outshooting them pretty heavily, their goalie (Connor Graham) played very well and they played very disciplined,” he said. “But we took our foot off of the gas a little bit and they took advantage of that and they capitalized on their opportunities more than we did.”

Goals from Cullen Hogan and and David Loath gave the Toros a 2-0 lead after the first 20 minutes.

Dylan Duckson’s short-handed goal made it 3-0 at the 4:07 mark of the second period before Nolan Christy’s score made it 4-0 at the 5:05 mark and saw Nolan Lacosse replaced by Dixon Ehlers in net.

“I thought that maybe (Lacosse) was a little tired,” North said. “You want to reward a guy for that kind of effort and that is the gamble that you take as a coach with goaltenders.

“The shorthanded goal is unfortunate but they area very skilled team. They will capitalize on those if you give them time and space.”

The Steel, who host St. Louis next Friday and Saturday, appeared to get some momentum back when Zach Maret notched his first goal of the season at the 14:04 mark on a power play.

But that momentum lasted all of 27 seconds before Carter Newpower beat Dixon Ehlers for a 5-1 lead.

“There were some mental errors and we are going to go back and watch some film on that and correct it,” North said.

New Ulm got the only goal of the final period when Charlie Kielty lit the lamp at the 10:12 mark.

“We took a step back tonight, but there were stretches where we were really good,” North said. “You want to make sure that the guys know that there were things that they did well. But then we have to look at the things that we did not do so well.”


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper?


Starting at $4.38/week.

Subscribe Today