Commissioners to consider proposed property tax levy
2.79% hike from 2020 proposed
NEW ULM –The Brown County Board of Commissioners are being asked to set the 2021 proposed property tax levy for certification to the Brown County Auditor/Treasurer Tuesday, Sept. 15.
The board meeting starts at 9 a.m.in the Brown County Law Enforcement Center Training Room. WebEx access is available by calling 507-233-6600.
The $14,141,462 levy is 2.79% more than the 2020 certified levy and is based on a $41,868.265 draft 2021 county budget.
The final budget and levy is suggested to be adopted by the board on Tuesday, Dec. 15. That levy may be equal to or lower but not higher than the 2021 proposed levy approved by the board Sept. 15.
Commissioners will also:
• Schedule a public meeting on the proposed 2021 county budget and levy for 6 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 1 in the Brown County District Courtroom on the county courthouse 3rd floor and revise the start time of the Dec. 1 regular county board meeting to 4:30 p.m.
• Convene a public hearing at 9 a.m. Sept. 15 to establish 2021 ditch assessments and interest rates to be applied after Jan. 1, 2021. The current interest rate is 4%.
Billings will be sent to all affected landowners allowing for a prepayment option. Unpaid assessments would be applied to 2021 taxes unless landowners request a 3-year lien available on assessments greater than $1,000.
• Appoint Mark Roiger, P.E. to prepare a preliminary survey and file a board report for a County Ditch 44 improvement petition.
• Validate that Brown County has cancelled any special assessments on structure demolitions that had occurred and will not reassess the amounts if/when a parcel is sold.
• Consider Sept. 9 Planning Commission recommendations.
• Receive a COVID-19 update from Brown County Public Health Director Karen Moritz.
• Consider Brown County COVID-19 Business Relief Grant awards of $308,300 as recommended by Brown County Economic Development partners.
Recommendations include George’s Fine Steaks and Spirits, $10,000; Joni’s Restaurant & Catering, $6,800; Penazz: A Hair & Day Spa, $6,500; B&L Bar $5,700; Lamplighter Restaurant & Lounge, $20,500; Lola, Inc. $16,750; Gypsy House, $4.500; Comfrey Styles, $4,500; Kaiserhoff $16,750; Bailey Creek Boutique, $4,500; Sozial Inc. $7,000; Lifestyle Eye Care Center, $4,500; Candyman, Inc. $4,500; RN of NU Inc. $4,500; Anytime Fitness, $4,500; Pam’s Lasting Impressions, $4,500; Comfrey Bar & Grill, $19,250; A Nu You Massage Therapy $4,500; The Garage, $4,500; J&L Car Wash & Laundry, $4,500; New Ulm PR (Pizza Ranch), $14,200; C.G. Gatzby’s Inc. $4,500; Bronz’d, $4,500; Cline Henderson Corp. (Printwear Graphics) $6,500; Jiayong, $4,500; 225N MN (Mona Lena Wine Bar), $4,800; VLV (Cutting Edge), $4,500; Rathskeller Inc. (Turner Hall) $19,700; Concordia Lanes, $9,100; Larson’s Furniture Gallery, $4,500; Lisa Ann’s Healing Hands Massage & Wellness, $4,500; Hair Zen, $4,500; Reinarts Bar (Mowan’s Bar), $4,500; Lakes on 1st, $8,200; NU Roots Salon, $4,500; BJ’s Salon, $4,500; RC Sports Bar & Grill (Outlaws Bar & Grill), $8,200; Sleepy Eye Coffee Company, $6,000; Goosetown Enterprises (MN Prairie Wellness), $4,500; Guten Tag Haus, $4,500; Be Well Center, $4,500; Neubauer Family Chiropractic, $4,500; Rodney’s $9,850.