Court Proceedings

Brown County

District Court

• Dustin F. Jensen, 20, Sparta, Wi. was charged with felony fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle Friday. According to court documents, a Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) employee was on South German Street facing north at 19th Street at 7:22 p.m. Wednesday when he observed a black ATV in front of him traveling south towards him without visible front or rear lights and it was dark.

The DNR officer activated his emergency lights in an attempt to stop it but it quickly accelerated past him and turned east on S. 19th St. The officer saw a white male driver with blonde hair, about 18 years old, later identified as Jensen.

The officer pursued Jensen and with his siren on and saw him swerve into an oncoming traffic lane, northbound in the southbound lane on S. Broadway at a high rate of speed. The officer had to travel 60 to 70 mph to keep within eyesight. The officer later found the ATV abandoned, off the road on Crestview, past 17th St. S.

At about 7:42 p.m., Brown County dispatch reported a suspicious male wandering at 1410 S. Franklin St., a few blocks northeast of where the ATV was abandoned. The complainant said a young male with blonde hair, wearing cowboy boots told him he was going to the Microtel and left on foot.

Soon after that, dispatch reported a second call of a suspicious male running in and out of Kwik Trip, 1521 S. Broadway. Police and sheriff’s office units responded to the Microtel, 424 S. 20th St. and advised they located a male matching the description.

Jensen was now wearing blue jeans, a t-shirt, no shoes and two different colored socks. There was a pair of shoes and cell phone on the hood of a pickup with ATV ramps in the bed and a red ATV helmet in the seat. Jensen had a scratch on his right forearm and a forehead cut with blood, which he said he got working a construction job, which was why he was staying at the Microtel.

The DNR officer looked at Kwik Trip security tape that showed Jensen waring cowboy boots in the store. The ATV was transported to the DNR Region 4 headquarters and placed in impound.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)