Spice of life, Johnson Park now 50 years old
Few people have ever lived or come to New Ulm without visiting Johnson Park or athletic field. We are indebted to former principal, Harry Dirks for a history of this important park area,written in November 1939. He was the schoolman who died on the platform 1943 graduation night.
Johnson Park was one of the pieces of land granted to the City of New Ulm by the German Park Land Association for athletic and recreational purposes with the understanding that it is for general public use and no charge or rent for the use of the land itself could be made.
In long ago days the park was largely used for grazing and sand lot baseball.Then in 1927 the local American Legion Post undertook the job of developing the field. Members leveled and removed stones from that part of the park now known as Johnson Field. For many years it was allowed to remain partially completed.
Finally businessmen and the city graded and leveled the field and plotted out the present football field.
The next question arose as to who could use the field so an Association was created with council approval, called the “New Ulm Athletic Park Association.”
THEASSOCIATION met with representatives of the various schools to discuss the problem of securing lighting for the field. The idea was that each school interested was to furnish a share of complimentary tickets and thus help defray the expenses of lights. Luther College and Cathedral High School representatives declined to take part but lights were purchased anyway.
Rent was charged for the lights at the rate of $25 a night or $10 for use of other equipment when no lights were used. The poles and wires were furnished by the city.All labor was gratis except the 246 com-plimentary tickets to the New Ulm High School games which were sold and the money used to pay for the lights.
AFTER SEVERAL years it was noted that the New Ulm High School was paying for the lights through this system of paying rent so the association concluded the lights should be turned over to the High School Athletic Association if they would pay the balance due on the lights. This was done and the Association took over complete ownership as of 1939.
The New Ulm High School then took it upon itself to develop the field, build a fence,secure canvas,wire etc.
Another interesting happening reported by Dirks was that the stadium was built out of funds secured through the sale of PTA dance tickets and donations by the various classes and athletic associations.The Athletic Association also paid for and built the band platform in front of the stadiumn. The senior class of 1932 paid for part of the fencing.
It would be nice to have as detailed a report of the years 1939 to 1975.
WHILE VISITING in New Ulm last week, Jack Gruenfelder, professor of philosophy at the University of Indiana,Gary division said, Joe Harman was the best high school teacher he knew. This was quite a compliment coming from one of the top students ever to graduate at New Ulm High School. I hope it will make the roses bloom even better for our rose fancier.
UNUSUAL SCHOOL TWIST: Bruce Fenske and his bride, the former Barbara Blackstad, purchased the home of Mrs.Dorothy Anderson, now Mrs. George Kiser of Wilton, Iowa, 823 S. State. But the novel part is that Mrs. Fenske took Dorothy’s second grade class at Jefferson School when Dorothy left. One difference. They painted the former white home gold.
New Ulm Daily Journal
Aug 17, 1975