Town Talk: Celebrate National Library Week!
National Library Week will take place this year from April 7 – 13. It is a national observance, first sponsored in 1958, by the American Library Association and libraries across the country every April. It’s a wonderful time to celebrate the contributions of libraries and library staff and to promote library use and support. This celebration occurs in all types of libraries whether they are school, public, academic or special.
This year’s theme Libraries – Strong Communities really makes you think about how a library has the power to transform the lives of its patrons and its community. The library is a gateway to finding the information and resources that can shape a person’s world, from online databases, e-materials, and programming to the comradery between parents or caregivers as their children engage in the library.
Over the years, I have watched patrons learn the web or Microsoft Word and visit the library to seek ways to brush up on their English skills. One or two patrons have exclaimed that they have not visited lately because they acquired the job they had applied for with help from staff at the library.
There are many ways you can celebrate National Library Week this year:
1. Visit the New Ulm Public Library! Head over to see what’s new and take part in programming we have in the month of April. On Thursday, April 4 at 6:30 p.m. we’ll be Seed Strip Planting with the New Ulm Community Garden. If gardening isn’t your cup of tea, check out the New Ulm Film Society showing on Tuesday, April 9 at 6 p.m. or catch Noon Tunes with Dick Kimmel and Kelly Coyle on Wednesday, April 10 at 12 p.m.
2. Follow us on social media and share #MyLibraryMyStory If you are so inclined, check out the American Library Association and I Love Libraries pages as well. Use the hashtag #NationalLibraryWeek
3. Become a member of the Friends of the New Ulm Public Library to show your support. Visit www.newulmlibrary.org for more information.
4. Fill out an application and become a volunteer at the New Ulm Public Library!
5. Share your love of reading with family and friends.
As much as we all love the art of reading, libraries are more than reading. The New Ulm Public Library has a mission to share as a community a haven for learning, imagination, discovery. However, I do challenge you to celebrate National Library Week by sharing a love of reading and community with your friends and family and a visit to your favorite New Ulm Public Library staff!
Thank you for your support of the New Ulm Public Library. The success of the New Ulm Public Library is due to this community. It is the great service provided by library staff and the support from each and every one of you, the City of New Ulm, the Library Board, the Friends of the New Ulm Public Library, our faithful volunteers, and the numerous organizations who partner with us to meet the needs of our loyal patrons! Libraries = Strong Communities.
Editor’s Note: The City of New Ulm presents a weekly column highlighting activities in different departments in the city government. Once a month the city will answer questions from readers. Questions on New Ulm city issues can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.