New Ulm fights back to earn a 2-2 tie

New Ulm forward Wyatt Huard (10) tries to get a shot off as Abdulwadud Said defends on the play Tuesday at New Ulm High School. For more photos of this event go to cu.nujournal.com

NEW ULM — New Ulm boys’ soccer benefited on a Wyatt Huard goal off of a penalty kick to tie the game at 2-2 in the 75th minute of play.

New Ulm then went into overtime against Faribault on Tuesday and finished with a 2-2 tie in nonconference action.

In a meeting between two 2-0 teams on the year, the Falcons kept the Eagles on the defensive for most of the game, limiting New Ulm to just three shots on goals. Matthew Janke had 18 saves for New Ulm, with two in overtime.

Eagles coach Dave Dake was proud of his defense for stepping up during the game and is especially happy with Joseph Wessel’s leadership on defense.

“We’ve been totally revamping our defense and I think it’s really working well for us,” Dake said. “Joe Wessel in the back as the center back — he’s really a great leader back there and he’s really commanded them.”

Faribault was on the board first after a goal by Abdimutalib Abdullahi in the 25th minute of play. New Ulm answered back on a Huard pass downfield to Jack Howard for a goal and a 1-1 tie in the 27th minute.

Drew Larson knocked in the Falcons’ second goal of the day off of a deflection in the 43rd minute to take a 2-1 lead.

With time running out, Huard scored on a penalty kick with no problem to tie the game at 2-2. It was his ninth goal of the year.

In overtime, the Falcons had a close-range shot that trickled just off to the right in the 88th minute, but the Eagles clamped down defensively and escaped with the tie.

“Faribault is a very aggressive team,” Dake said. “They’re very fast and there were a couple of times that I don’t think we could have kept up with them. However, we were possessing with intent and when they came back at us attacking, our new defense really helped.”

New Ulm hosts Waseca next at 6:45 p.m. on Tuesday for a Big South Conference game.