People in the News
Actress in ‘ER,’ ‘Stand and Deliver’ fatally shot by police
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An actress who appeared on the TV medical drama “ER” and starred in the film “Stand and Deliver” was fatally shot by police officers in Southern California after they say she pointed a replica handgun at them.
Vanessa Marquez, who gained attention last year when she said George Clooney helped blacklist her from Hollywood, died at a hospital following Thursday’s shooting at her apartment in South Pasadena, just outside Los Angeles.
South Pasadena police officers responded to a call from Marquez’s landlord that she needed medical help. When they arrived she was having a seizure, Lt. Joe Mendoza with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said Friday.
Paramedics treated Marquez, 49, who improved and began talking with three officers and a mental health clinician who spent an hour-and-a-half trying to talk her into getting medical help, Mendoza said.
Marquez became uncooperative, appeared unable to care for herself and seemed to have mental health issues, he said.
At some point, Mendoza said Marquez got what turned out to be a BB gun and pointed it at the officers, prompting two of them to shoot.
“It looked like a real gun,” he said, adding that it’s unclear where the gun was during her lengthy interaction with police.
The officers were wearing body cameras but footage won’t be released for at least six months pending the investigation, Mendoza said.
Terence Towles Canote, a close friend of Marquez’s, said the actress was having health and financial problems but that she showed no signs of depression or other mental troubles. She still talked about her dream of winning an Oscar one day and was hopeful for a career comeback, he said.
“She was looking forward to life,” Canote said. “This is not a woman who wanted to die.”
Marquez had a recurring role during the first several years of “ER,” which ran from 1994 to 2009. She also appeared on episodes of “Seinfeld,” ”Melrose Place” and “Malcolm & Eddie” but her career largely fizzled after “ER.”
Burning Man festival
population limit exceeded
RENO, Nev. (AP) — The Burning Man festival for a time had to restrict entry to the northern Nevada desert event because its population exceeded the limit of 70,000 limit set under its federal land-use permit.
The Reno Gazette Journal reported Saturday that the population was again below the limit, allowing arriving attendees to enter without waiting until other people left.
It’s not clear how long admissions were restricted because of noncompliance with permit terms, but U.S. Bureau of Land Management spokesman Kyle Hendrix said the agency Thursday asked organizers to shut down the entry after the limit was exceeded.
Burning man spokesman Jim Graham said the Aug. 26-Sept. 3 event’s ticket sales can exceed the population limit because some tickets go unused and not all attendees are present at the same time.