Staff photos by Josh Moniz
The townspeople and settlers of New Ulm erected makeshift barriers during the attacks on the city during the U.S. Dakota-War in August 1862. The temporary barricade, which was recently constructed in Kiesling Park as part of the observance of the 150th anniversary of the war and shown in this photo, is an example of the 1862 structure. An informational placard summarizes the battles between the Dakota and New Ulm residents that occurred on Aug. 19 and Aug. 23. During the conflict, a barricade was built approximately 50 feet behind the Kiesling House. The barricade of 1862 consisted of anything available, including wagons, barn doors, carts, stones and boxes. The background scene on the placard was the work of New Ulm artist Anton Gag, who painted the depiction of the battle on a flour barrel head in 1902.