Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | School Lunch Menus | Contact Us | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

One woman dies in fire

Victim identified

February 28, 2014

NEW ULM — A New Ulm woman has died after a fire in her apartment house at Center and Front streets on Thursday night. The woman was identified Friday afternoon as Darcy Mary Moldan, 5....

« Back to Article

 
 
sort: oldest | newest

Comments

(24)

middleclassworker

Mar-06-14 12:55 AM

Achtungnu, I believe that the New Ulm Fire Department is always looking for a few good men and women. It sounds like you know what you are doing, and from what you say, you would do a better job. Maybe you should sign up and teach them a thing or two.

1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Achtungnu

Mar-04-14 11:06 PM

My Dearest Squinoo- I say that you should keep your Flammable Liquids like I keep my beer, away from heat and an open flame. At the garage fire if the 2 pumpers were not prepared to fight the fire (Because of Cold Or Water)they should have brought the Farm Truck. This truck was probably dry and ready to go. The offical statement from the NUFD was that the Garage was "Fully Engolfed upon arrival" From what I saw it looked like no water from both trucks for approximately 10 mins and when the South Truck got water the water was shot onto a closed garage door which was holding the fire. Guess what....When knocking down a garage fire you fight the fire from the original ignition location.....not to wait until it gets to your standing location. Fire Started on the East Side and water was put on from the Westside.

0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

squinoo

Mar-04-14 10:20 AM

Achtungnu - Ok, so the woman died after your post but it was known people were injured. You showed no concern or compassion for the house fire, only for that of the garage fire. It baffles me! And if the firefighters had just left a house fire which I'm sure causes problems for them with water on the truck, etc. Thankfully the garage fire was not a case of life and death and just a garage/couple vehicles. AND you seemed to pass judgment on the condition of the house (electrical, etc.) which the tenants had no control over if that is indeed the cause - you were just assuming. SO what do you say now when it has come out the cause of the garage fire was due to mishandling of flammable liquids?!

0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

KariRose

Mar-01-14 3:27 PM

middleclassworker: That's exactly what I was trying to say.

1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

middleclassworker

Mar-01-14 9:18 AM

You are right, thatguy. I'm sure the owner had no intention on having his building burn down. We also don't know the cause of the fire at this point.

However, in cases where houses exist in a state of disrepair, where there is old wiring, extension cords, no smoke alarms, etc. there would be negligence to the owner, even if they had no intention of buying a property that would someday go up in smoke. I don't know what the story was behind this house, I'm just speaking in general.

5 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

thatguy

Mar-01-14 8:46 AM

Who cares who owns it.. I'm sure they feel horrible. Not like they woke up one morning, "oh i think I'll go buy a rental property so it can catch fire to have someone lose there life". Tragedies happen.. Things happen for a reason.. I'm sorry for that. My deepest condolences too all affected. So should we evict most of downtown and homes in ulm? Have some heart auctung.. Oh bless you, did u sneeze? Its ok i forgive you.

1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

thatguy

Mar-01-14 8:46 AM

Who cares who owns it.. I'm sure they feel horrible. Not like they woke up one morning, "oh i think I'll go buy a rental property so it can catch fire to have someone lose there life". Tragedies happen.. Things happen for a reason.. I'm sorry for that. My deepest condolences too all affected. So should we evict most of downtown and homes in ulm? Have some heart auctung.. Oh bless you, did u sneeze? Its ok i forgive you.

2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

KariRose

Mar-01-14 12:10 AM

Hippie: I agree with you but the cause hasn't yet been determined either way.

0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

KariRose

Mar-01-14 12:09 AM

middleclassworker: Okay, totally not the people I'm thinking of at all. Scrap my earlier comment please! My thoughts do still go out to the families however. It's just very sad all around.

0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Hippie

Mar-01-14 12:00 AM

If someone is careless with a cigarette or candles it doesn't matter if it's a new house or an older one built 100 years ago. Fires still burn the same.

2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

middleclassworker

Feb-28-14 9:38 PM

Kari, the building is owned by Patrick Herrley of Maplewood, Minnesota. He purchased it in August of 2007 from Randall and Barbara Poehler.

The house was built in 1900.

3 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Achtungnu

Feb-28-14 8:23 PM

This goes out to Squinoo...Look at the time I posted. The woman died way after I made my post. Yes, it is sad that a life was lost in the fire. It is sad that people live in places like that. Now onto the garage fire.....It was sad to see that the garage burned as bad as it did. I was there and watched as the garage burned and all the contents were lost. For the life of me I can't figure out why it took 10 mins to put water on a simple garage fire. 2 pumpers in the alley and no water in the pre connect....No water on the truck?

0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Sunocoracefuel

Feb-28-14 8:19 PM

My heart goes out to the Molden family.I am a landlord myself, a house fire and potential there of is always a landlord's concern. Yes the city does have a rental inspection process that was implemented after the tragic B & B fire in 2011. My rental homes have been inspected by the city for safety twice since 2011 centering around fire prevention/escape and overall safety. This is a tragic event to the families involved.

5 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

caring1

Feb-28-14 7:38 PM

thank you to the new ulm fire department and the tenant that came home in time to help the family out. You are a hero and god bless the family of the lady that died.

5 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

KariRose

Feb-28-14 7:18 PM

So....who does own this building??? I think it's odd that the Journal never mentioned it.

1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

KariRose

Feb-28-14 7:10 PM

I don't know who owns the building presently. I do know who owned it about 3 years ago. If it is the people, they own other buildings in horrible states of disrepair...as I lived in one. If it is the same people (and again, I don't know if it is) they have been told the wiring and electric is WAY out of date and that was about 8 years ago. I had to move out of a building of theirs because of this and appliances starting fires and such. However, to the best of my knowledge (and this very well could have changed) housing was assisting persons living in these places and passing the inspections. I think what Achtungnu was getting at is that this was totally preventable. Of course we don't know the exact reason for the fire yet, but if it is something in regards to wiring/electric/etc I certainly hope these owners are put behind bars! It is absolutely horrible for this to have happened and my thoughts are most definately with the families at this time. They need to be taken care of first.

2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

KariRose

Feb-28-14 7:05 PM

0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

mnsotn

Feb-28-14 6:20 PM

You do raise one point, though.

Do building inspectors in New Ulm make annual inspections of rental properties like they do in other communities?

6 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

mnsotn

Feb-28-14 6:17 PM

Achtungnu, not everybody can afford a nice place to live. It was home to them, whether it met your standards or not.

8 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

caring1

Feb-28-14 5:59 PM

Achtungnu if you knew this why did you not make a complaint to the city inspector or the fire inspector now is not the time. Wo cares about a garage as long as no one was hurt or killed. A garage can be rebuilt and life can not be brought back.

2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

squinoo

Feb-28-14 3:57 PM

Achtungnu - A women dies, family/people currently without a place to live who also all lost personal property and all you do is rip on the house, calling it a dump. WOW! AND then you say you are sorry to hear of a garage burning to the ground?!

Thoughts and prayers to the family of the woman who lost her life and to the displaced tenants. If there is a place taking donations for the tenants/family of the HOUSE fire, please post info.

6 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

mnsotn

Feb-28-14 1:19 PM

Prayers to the families and to the firefighters who did all they could.

7 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

thatguy

Feb-28-14 10:58 AM

Any groups taking donations for the tenants/ young family ?

6 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Achtungnu

Feb-28-14 3:57 AM

That place has been a dump for years. This was a place that people should not have been living. It's been passed from one landlord to the next. Tinder box to the max! Sorry to hear of the 12:40 am call to the 1100 S Front Garage which burnt to the ground.

2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Showing 24 of 24 comments
 
 

Post a Comment

You must first login before you can comment.

*Your email address:
*Password:
Remember my email address.
or
 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web