Man-made global warming is fake science
To the editor:
The Nov 28, 2018 “We can’t afford to ignore climate change report” said: “Spending a few extra dollars now may prevent the nation from paying a whole lot more in the future in recovering from weather disasters.” I’ve been subscribing to Science, and Science News for several years now, and have yet to see anything conclusive about man-made CO2 (carbon dioxide) as the real cause for climate change. I see “maybes,” “possibilities,” and sometimes contradictions, but nothing really solid.
Man-made global warming via carbon dioxide emissions is fake science for the following reasons:
1. The ratio of man-made CO2 to natural CO2 on Earth is about 1 to 2400. If a 12 ounce glass held Earth’s CO2, man’s portion is about 2 drops. How are those 2 drops going to jerk temperatures around to dangerous levels?
There’s probably not enough infrared heat absorption capacity in man’s tiny CO2 portion to significantly change anything.
2. Recent findings show that some volcanoes are pumping a lot more CO2 than we thought. Mt. Katla buried under a glacier in Iceland emits up to24,000 tons CO2 per day; that’s up to 10 times greater than previous estimates of total CO2 release from Iceland’s natural sources. Katla is one of the largest volcanic sources of CO2 on the planet, contributing up to 4 percent of global emissions from non-erupting volcanoes.
It’s possible many more sub-glacial volcanoes worldwide are dumping much more CO2 into the atmosphere than we thought. we’re a long way off from finding exact, total worldwide CO2 output from volcanoes especially since two-thirds of the planet is under ocean. Only 18 percent of the ocean floor has been mapped, but most resolution is not good enough to spot certain volcanoes.
‘Fine resolution’ was applied to look for Malaysia Airlines flight 370 in the Indian Ocean, they found two volcanoes, one bigger than Mt. Vesuvius. There are 40,000 miles of volcanically active mid-ocean ridges of which we only mapped a tiny fraction; that’s a real big thermal and CO2 output area we know little about.
3. Computing power for climate models have increased 100 million times since the 1970s. So as climate analyzing models became increasingly more complex “unknown” unknowns became “known” unknowns and uncertainties remained. What they found is that they cannot get a good handle on what the clouds are going to do. Stratocumulus clouds forming off the coastlines can turn the global temperature up or down by a few degrees over a century of time, and the “climate models” cannot predict which way it will go. (July 2018 issue of “Science.)
4. Geo-engineering scientists (who want to inject particles into the atmosphere to seed clouds for blocking the sun’s rays to cool the planet) say that: “Even if we completely stopped carbon dioxide emissions today, earth will continue warming over the next several decades.”
5. We had global warming about a thousand years ago (Medieval Warm Period) – yes, climate change is real. When has the climate ever been changeless?