NUFD battles garage fire

Staff photo by Fritz Busch The New Ulm Fire Department battles a fire that destroyed a garage belonging to Shirley Kline at 827 S. Valley St Friday. The fire leveled the garage and destroyed its contents, and spread to a utility pole, causing electrical and cable service interruptions until wires could be repaired.

NEW ULM — A fire claimed a residential garage on at 827 S. Valley Street.

New Ulm Fire Department received a call at 10:33 a.m. reporting a fire in a garage belonging to Shirley Kline.

After the call came through, Fire Chief Paul Macho said he could see the smoke plume from the Fire Station on Broadway. By the time the Fire Department arrived on scene the entire garage was fully engulfed.

The fire had spread to a high wire pole. Electrical and communication companies were contacted due to their facilities being damaged by the fire.

Firefighters managed to get the fire under control and extinguish most of the flames by 11 a.m. The entire garage and contents were lost in the fire, including a vehicle. The heat also damaged the neighboring garages.

The preliminary findings indicate the lawnmower was the cause of the fire.

No injuries were reported.

COMMENTS

0 0items

Your shopping cart is empty.

Items/Products added to Cart will show here.