County Board to consider new handguns for sheriff’s office
NEW ULM — Brown County Commissioners will will meet Tuesday, July 10, and consider the purchase of 16 Smith & Wesson M&P 9 2.0 9mm guns with CORE cutouts to replace existing handguns for the Brown County Sheriff’s office.
The meeting begins at 9 a.m. Tuesday in the courthouse commissioner’s room.
The sheriff office’s existing handguns were purchased in 2008 with Trijicon night sights with a life expectancy of 10 years. The cost of replacing the night sights is $110 per handgun.
The new handguns use 9mm rounds compared to the current Smith & Wesson M&P guns that use .40 caliber rounds. The cost difference in the rounds is $260 for a case of 9 mm ammunition compared to $360 for a case of .40 caliber ammunition.
Price quotes are $4,080 from Sioux Sales Company, Sioux City, Ia. and $$5,360 from Streicher’s, Minneapolis. The items are budgeted for $9,000. Several considerable manufacturing delays pushed the date back. The cost would be paid from reserves.
Commissioners will also consider:
• Authorizing Joint Powers Agreements with the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, required in the event of a recount during the 2018 primary and general elections.
Governmental units will be paid four cents for each ballot handled in the course of any recount covered by the agreement, with a minimum $100 payment if a recount occurs in the governmental unit’s jurisdiction.
• The following drainage repair requests and repair payments.
• CD 1, Section 30, Milford Township, slough, tile outlet, $240.
• CD 38 Section 9, Milford Township, replacement, $974.85.
• CD 5 Section 1, Prairieville Township, blowout, $1,431.55.
• CD 11 Section 26, Stark Township, slough, $240.
• JD 17 R&B, Section 8, Eden Township, tile outlet, $1,271.63.
• JD 29 B&R Section 26, Eden Township, slough, rip rap, $285.02.
• CD 20, Section 15, Albin Township, replacement, $16,400.
• CD 28 Section 27, Mulligan Township, culvert/ crossing, debris, $200.