School board approves levy

NEW ULM — The District 88 Board of Education approved the final tax levy payable in 2018 on Thursday, with a minor amendment.

The levy increased over the 2017 property tax levy by $243,727 or 3.08 percent, to $8,162,483.23 total.

After the initial approval Board member Steve Gag proposed an amendment to include the total levy amount of $8.16 million in the motion in addition to the amount it increased.

The preliminary levy was approved at the board’s September meeting. At that time it was approved “at the maximum amount,” according to the board agenda.

A resolution establishing a combined polling place was also approved.

“This is a requirement for all school boards if you are going to have a special election outside the normal election cycle dates that are published, for whatever purpose you would have to run it for,” Bertrang said. “The state statute has changed a little bit. You cannot hold it wherever you want it to be, you have to hold it where a city or a county hold their special election.”

The polling place for all territory covered by District 88 in Blue Earth, Brown and Nicollet Counties is at the New Ulm Community Center (600 N. German St.).

According to Minnesota statute, the combined polling place must be established by Dec. 31 for the following year.

The board also approved the final 20 percent of four community services payments.

“These are the remaining balances from two years ago,” Bertrang said. “It was 80/20, we approved 80 percent of the grant up front and they had to come back and prove what they did with it to the board directly to get the remaining 20 percent of the grant.”

Community and Seniors Together (CAST) will get $1,200, Healthy Communities/ Healthy Youth $3,105, Network New Ulm $400 and Pro Kinship for Kids $400.

The next regular meeting is a study session Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018 at 5 p.m. in the Jefferson Media Center. The next regular school board meeting is Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018 at 6 p.m. in the board room.

Connor Cummiskey can be emailed at ccummiskey@nujournal.com.

COMMENTS

0 0items

Your shopping cart is empty.

Items/Products added to Cart will show here.