Vehicle burns in fire; busy day for fire squad
NEW ULM — The New Ulm Fire Department responded to a van fire at 1226 N. State St. Wednesday night.
The call for the fire came in at 7:33 p.m. In a few minutes the entire van was engulfed in flames. Black smoke was visible from a mile away.
The NUFD was on the scene within a few minutes of receiving the call. Firefighters managed to extinguished the flames by 7:50 p.m.
Fire Chief Paul Macho said the fire was caused by a power tool spark that ignited the gas tank.
The fire occurred in front of a garage belonging to Gary Konakowitz. Konakowitz had the van on a trailer and was preparing to take it to a junk yard, when the first started. In addition to van, the trailer and part of his garage sustained fire damage.
Macho said this was the second vehicle fire his department had responded to that day. Earlier in the day, a vehicle on Highway 14 had started on fire.
No one was injured at either incident.