Family Living Focus: Family activities for fun and good health
Being physically active with your family is a great way to stay healthy and make exercise fun.
Whether you play team sports with the entire family or take brisk walks with your spouse, child, or grandchild, you’ll be rewarded with improved health and time spent together.
Family gatherings are the perfect time for team sports and outdoor activities:
• Choose teams for softball, basketball, or kickball.
• Sign up for family tournaments to play tennis, bowling, or volleyball.
• Go biking, fishing, or hiking at a nearby park.
• If you live near water, try sailing, canoeing, or rafting.
Family members can make great exercise buddies:
• Take yoga or water aerobics classes.
• Ping pong is fun for a twosome.
• Our pets are family! Brisk walks with a canine buddy are healthy for both of you.
Build a healthy lifestyle that includes your grandchildren:
• Push them on swings (after walking to the playground!).
• Play catch.
• Jump rope together.
• Build a fort indoors or out.
Family gatherings are often built around meals. Keep family meals healthy during special occasions with fresh vegetables, lean meats, and low-fat or fat-free cheeses and dressings.
Information adapted from Everyday Fitness Ideas article from the National Institute on Aging at NIH, Go4Life, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
If you would like more information on “Family Activities for Fun and Good Health” feel free to contact Gail Gilman, Family Life Consultant, M.Ed., C.F.C.S. and Professor Emeritus – University of Minnesota at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to watch for more Family Living Focus™ information in next week’s paper.