Cauliflower’s Most Convenient Form
By Laura Schmidt
When people think of vegetables that are superfoods, seldom does cauliflower ever come to mind. However, it really is one of the greatest superfoods, not only in nutrition, but also in taste. It is part of the same family that broccoli and cabbage belong to and is considered a cruciferous vegetable. A serving of cauliflower is a good source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium. Cauliflower also contains phytonutrients that have anti-inflammatory compounds, and may reduce the occurrence of heart disease and stroke. Additionally, cauliflower is high in fiber, which may be beneficial for colon health.
The newest craze with this amazing vegetable is that it now comes crumbled and packaged. Green Giant® Cauliflower Crumbles and blends are your Hy-Vee dietitian pick of the month. These cauliflower crumbles come in three varieties: regular Cauliflower Crumbles, Fried Rice Blend, and Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Crumbles.
There are so many ways and reasons to try Green Giant® Cauliflower Crumbles and Blends.
• Washed, cut, and ready to use.
• Steam-in-pouch cooks in minutes for quick, easy prep and clean up.
• Pizza Crust – Use Green Giant® Cauliflower Crumbles instead of flour in your pizza crust. Mix with cheese and Italian spices and top with your favorite pizza toppings.
• Perfect time-saver when trying to make cauliflower mashed potatoes.
• Add to soups, stir-frys, salads and casseroles.
• Use the Cauliflower Crumbles Fried Rice blend as a substitute for rice in any main or side dish.
• Baked Goods – Because of cauliflower’s mild flavor, it can be blended into your favorite dessert recipe without anyone knowing.
Try a few of these different options when using Cauliflower Crumbles. Any picky eater will never know they are eating more vegetables. These tricks also work great for people trying to reduce their carbohydrate intake for weight loss or blood sugar control. If you don’t have time to prep or don’t want to bother with the clean-up, try picking up a bag of our dietitian Pick of the Month, Green Giant® Cauliflower Crumbles and blends. Try them in the recipe below.
Cauliflower Crumbles® “Fried Rice”
Serves 8 (1/2 cup each)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
All you need:
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (16 oz) bag Green Giant™ Fresh Cauliflower Crumbles® “Fried Rice” Blend
1 tsp garlic salt
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 green onions, sliced
All you do:
1. In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently until garlic begins to brown.
2. Add “Fried Rice” Blend and garlic salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes until vegetables soften.
3. Stir in egg; stir constantly 2 to 3 minutes until egg is scrambled and incorporated into vegetables.
4. Stir in soy sauce and Hoisin sauce; mix well.
5. Garnish with green onions.
Source: adapted from Green Giant
Nutrition per serving: 50 calories, 2.5g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 480mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g sugars, 2g protein. Daily Values: 20% vitamin A, 40% vitamin C, 2% calcium, 2% iron.
The information is not intended as medical advice.
Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.
Laura Schmidt is a registered dietitian representing Hy-Vee as a nutrition expert promoting healthy eating throughout the community.