It’s a wonderful time for citrus!
People often associate citrus fruits with the tropics and summertime, but citrus fruits are actually in season during the winter, too! We have our annual citrus sale this week starting Tuesday, Feb. 17 and running through Monday, Feb. 23. Cuties® and Mighties™ (clementines and kiwis) are great wintertime citrus options because both can be used in a variety of recipes – vinaigrettes, salads, and desserts – just to name a few! On top of being versatile, Cuties® and Mighties™ are packed full of healthy nutrients! Here are a few reasons you might want to consider incorporating Cuties® and Mighties™ into your next snack this January:
1. Both are snack-sized and portable: Cuties® and Mighties™ are perfect for lunchboxes, purses or backpacks. To eat a Mightie™, simply cut the kiwi in half, scoop out the inside with a spoon, and enjoy!
2. Both are excellent sources of vitamin C: Two Cuties® contain 290% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C and are only 80 calories total. Two Mighties™ contain 230% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C and contain only 90 calories total. Vitamin C helps protect our immune system and fight off the flu.
3. Cuties® are also a good source of potassium and fiber: Potassium helps maintain healthy fluid balance and releases energy during exercise. Fiber aids in digestion and helps keep our heart healthy, too.
4. Mighties™ offer vitamins E and K (even more than avocados!): Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps protect our bodies from cancer-causing damage, while vitamin K plays an integral role in blood coagulation.
Enjoy kiwis and clementines in a new way this winter with a delicious homemade salsa!
The Mightiest™ Salsa
Serves 14 to 16
All you need:
1 cup peeled and cubed Mighties™ (about 4 kiwis)
1 cup peeled and cubed mango (about 1½ mango)
½ cup peeled, separated and halved Cuties® (about 1 clementine)
½ cup diced sweet red pepper
½ cup diced onion
1½ tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. minced fresh mint or 1 tsp. dried mint
1 tsp. honey
Chopped jalapeno peppers, optional
All you do:
1. Combine Mighties™, mangoes, Cuties®, red pepper, onion, lemon juice, mint, and honey in a large bowl. Stir in jalapeno peppers, if desired.
2. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 30 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 5g sugar, 1g protein
Daily Values: 6% vitamin A, 60% vitamin C, 2% calcium, 0% iron
Source: Hy-Vee Dietitians
The information is not intended as medical advice.
Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.
Laura Schmidt is a registered dietitian representing Hy-Vee as a nutrition expert promoting healthy eating throughout the community.