5 secrets to become the best version of you in 2017!
You may have pictured it in your head numerous times – the best version of you. The best could mean the healthiest version, the happiest version, the smoke-free version, or the less-stressed version of you. Whatever your best version means, the following 5 secrets can help you reach your maximum potential in 2017.
1. Balance your Diet – Take a good hard look at your daily food intake. Does it include at least a couple of servings of fruits and vegetables per day? Is it made up of sugary processed foods? Are you skipping meals? According to Forbes, only 8 percent of Americans achieve their New Year’s resolutions. Take this opportunity to be part of that 8 percent and meet with your Hy-Vee registered dietitian to work on your nutrition goals. She can keep you accountable and ensure that your diet is balanced and fulfilling.
2. Water, Water, Water – Most of us have heard it before, “You need to drink more water.” Take this message to heart and focus on making the majority of your daily beverage intake water. To help increase your intake, take a clear water bottle and draw hash marks evenly spaced along the side of the bottle. Starting at the top, label each hash mark with a time of the day (i.e. 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., etc.) and use that as your hour-by-hour water intake goal.
3. Relax, Renew and Refocus – Let’s admit we could all use some stress reduction in our hectic lives. Whether you like to listen to music, read, meditate, or exercise, try to take time each day to give yourself a mental break. This mental break can help you refocus your time and perhaps make you more productive because you gave yourself a chance to just breathe.
4. New Habit: Moving More – According to The Huffington Post, it takes 21 days to develop a new habit. Start slowly, do something you enjoy, move more throughout your day and after about 3 weeks it will become a new healthy habit for you.
5. Give Yourself Some Attention – In 2017, make it a point to write down the things that make you happy. Keep this list handy and add to it throughout the year. Focusing on your happiness may inspire you to have a better outlook on life.
Whether you work on all five of these secrets at once or just one at a time, it’s a step in the right direction toward being the best version of you. Your Hy-Vee registered dietitian can help you throughout the entire journey. In the words of Zig Ziglar, “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.”
Bagel Gone Bananas
All you need:
2 tbsp natural nut butter, such as almond, cashew, or peanut
1 tsp Hy-Vee honey
Pinch of salt
1 whole wheat bagel, split and toasted
1 small banana, sliced
All you do:
In a small bowl, stir together nut butter, honey and salt. Divide the mixture between bagel halves and top with banana slices.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 284 calories, 10g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 43g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 15g sugars, 9g protein.
Daily values: 0 percent vitamin A, 6 percent vitamin C, 10 percent calcium, 11 percent iron.
The information is not intended as medical advice.
Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.
Laura Schmidt is a registered dietitian representing Hy-Vee as a nutrition expert promoting healthy eating throughout the community.